When to Contact the ASPCA Poison Control Hotline

Sometimes it may be necessary to call the ASPCA center for guidance when a pet's curiosity has gotten him into trouble. Dogs and cats are naturally inquisitive; however, this behavior can be very dangerous.

Pet poison can come in many forms: plants, medications, foods, fertilizers, insecticides and household products. Even plants can act as a cat poison or dog poison. The best policy is one of prevention by keeping all possible poisons locked away and inaccessible.

Human Medications

Over 89,000 calls were made to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center in 2007 regarding ingestion of over-the-counter and/or prescription medications. Ingestion of any of the following medications can result in kidney damage, ulcers, elevated heart rate and blood pressure, seizures and even death.

  • NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)-ibuprofen or naproxen
  • Antidepressants
  • Acetaminophen
  • Methylphenidate (used in treating ADHD)
  • Fluorouracil
  • Isoniazid used in treating tuberculosis
  • Pseudoephedrine (decongestant)
  • Anti-diabetics
  • Vitamin D derivatives
  • Baclofen

Plants that Can Be Toxic

Some plants can be toxic to pets affecting various body functions and systems including the gastrointestinal system.

  • Sago Palm
  • Lilies, including the Peace Lily
  • Oleander
  • Marijuana
  • Azalea or Rhododendron
  • Tulip or Narcissis bulbs
  • Caster Beans
  • Yew
  • Cyclamen
  • Amaryllis
  • Kalanchoe
  • English Ivy
  • Autumn Crocus
  • Pothos
  • Schefflera
  • Chrysanthemum

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (888) 426-4435. The initial cost is $60 with no charge for additional follow-up calls. The ASPCA is the American branch of the SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).