Dog Flea Treatment Overdose Symptoms

A dog flea treatment can have many benefits, including removing the parasites and preventing the occurrence of other parasites in the future. However, the use of such flea treatments may also have negative effects, such as an allergic reaction on the skin. Many dog owners overuse flea products, and this may lead to a flea treatment overdose. It is important to recognize the symptoms of a flea treatment overdose, so as to be able to get help in a timely manner.

Dog Flea Treatment

The dog flea treatment may be available in the form of shampoos, creams, gels or sprays which contain insecticides and should be applied on a regular basis to kill the fleas and the possible eggs and larvae. The best known flea removal product used in canines is Advantage, which contains imidacloprid, an effective insecticide that paralyzes the fleas.

The vet will recommend a product that will be suitable to eliminate the parasites on your pet. However, you need to ask how often the product can be used and how to use it. When faced with a flea infestation, owners tend to overreact when applying the insecticides, which can have negative effects on the pet's skin. This may not necessarily lead to an overdose, but it can still harm the dog, so it is important to apply the flea treatment as indicated by the vet.

Dog Flea Treatment Overdose Symptoms

Typically, the dog flea treatment is applied topically and it takes a lot of insecticide to cause an overdose, because it has to go through the skin first. An overdose of dog flea treatment can cause a number of symptoms such as:

  • Muscle twitches, and the dog won't be able to control his muscles
  • Lack of coordination
  • Confusion
  • Excessive drooling
  • Moving in circles
  • Collapse

These symptoms are caused by the presence of the insecticide, which penetrates the skin and may affect the central nervous system. The symptoms may occur up to 12 hours after the treatment is applied, because it takes a few hours for the insecticides to get in the dog's system.

Treating a Flea Treatment Overdose

A dog with flea treatment overdose should be taken immediately to the vet. The vet will clean his coat and skin and will place the dog under liquid therapy. Dialysis may be needed to remove the toxins from the dog's system. Don't try to apply any treatment before getting to the vet. Try keeping your dog calm and don't massage the skin, as you may facilitate the insecticides getting into the dog's system.

Flea Treatment Side Effects

The flea treatment may have a number of side effects, even if used in the recommended doses. Not all dogs develop these side effects. Watch out for symptoms such as:

  • Excessive drooling, if the solution is ingested
  • Greasy fur
  • Hair loss
  • Skin rashes