Dog Mold Allergy Treatment

Mold allergy treatment is available for canines that have this problem. Molds are a type of fungi that can grow in moist environments. Molds may cause the food to go bad, but may also be met on walls and humid areas. The mold allergy treatment may be done using medications, allergy shots or topical treatment. However, it is important to eliminate the mold, as this is not only detrimental for the dog’s health but may also affect humans.

Antihistamines to Control Allergic Reactions

Antihistamines such as Benadryl or Claritin are the leading treatment options when it comes to control allergic reactions. The antihistamines inhibit the activity of the immune system, reducing the symptoms of mold allergy.

The dog will respond immediately to the treatment, but the treatment should not be discontinued, as otherwise the dog will start developing allergic reactions when exposed to mold.

Some dogs may develop immunity to antihistamines after a longer cure, so a new type of antihistamines should be introduced.

Steroid Treatment Inhibits the Immune System

Steroids can be used both as medication treatment and topical treatment. The steroids will interact with the immune system and inhibit it.

However, the steroids cannot be used for a longer period of time, as the drugs can attack the kidneys and result in irreversible kidney damage. There are also other side effects that can be extremely upsetting (i.e. behavior changes).

Topical treatments such as hydrocortisone cream can be highly effective in removing allergic reactions that are manifested on the dog’s skin.

Topical Treatments for the Skin

Topical treatments can be used in canines with mold allergies only if the dog only presents symptoms on the skin. Milder forms of mold allergy can be controlled with cortisone cream or other creams that contain natural compounds such as aloe vera.

If more serious symptoms are present, the dog should get medication treatment as well.

Allergy Shots

Allergy shots can be effective in about 1 in 7 dogs affected by mold allergies. The injections are formulated so they contain small amounts of the fungi that form the mold the dog is allergic to. The immune system of the dog will be stimulated to accept the fungi, so that the mold will provoke fewer allergic reactions.

The allergy shots are not effective during the first 5 to 6 months of injections. However, if the dog responds well to the injections, the mold allergies can be reduced and the dog can show dramatic improvement.

Removing the Mold

It is highly important to remove the mold from the dog’s environment. Mold spores cause the allergic reactions in your pet, but may also lead to respiratory problems, both in you and your dog. There are certain molds that have mycotoxins, which can cause neurological problems.

Mold can be eliminated with bleach or vinegar. Make sure to cover all areas of your home affected by mold. If the mold has affected furniture or carpets, you should get rid of these.