Emergency Procedures to Induce Vomiting in Dogs

Dogs may ingest different objects or materials (i.e., rat poison or other toxic substances) that they shouldn't, and these should be eliminated from their system before causing complications. When needed, vomiting in dogs can be induced by following a few steps. Vomiting will eliminate the items before they can be absorbed by the body and cause problems.

Get Ready

You can induce vomiting in your pet with a few ingredients you have in your home. You will need a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution, which should be in your pet first aid kit. Get an eye or ear dropper or a syringe. Prepare a burnt piece of toast.

How to Induce Vomiting

Get a piece of burnt toast and feed it to the dog. The burnt toast may absorb some toxins. Force feed your pet if needed. After 5 minutes, prepare a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Add 1 tbsp of 3% hydroxide peroxide for each 10 pounds of body weight.

Place the solution in the eye dropper or the syringe and administer it to the dog. Make sure the liquid gets in your dog's system by administering it under the tongue and tilting the dog's head upwards, so that the fluid is swallowed.

Encourage the dog to walk, so that the fluid gets in his stomach and mixes with the contents. Ideally, your dog should vomit within 10 minutes. However, if this doesn't happen, administer one more dose of 3% hydroxide peroxide and wait 10 more minutes. Don't administer more than 2 doses of hydroxide peroxide. If your dog doesn't vomit after the second dose you should rush to the vet.

When to Induce Vomiting

If your dog has eaten any of these items you should induce vomiting:

  • Chocolate
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Chewing gum that contains xylitol
  • Raisins
  • Toxic plants
  • Cat litter
  • Rat poison
  • Antifreeze
  • Human medicine
  • An overdose of his own medicine

You should induce vomiting as soon as you have noticed your dog has ingested the item, ideally within two hours of consumption. Your dog should be conscious and breathe at a normal rate. If your dog has seizures, you shouldn't induce vomiting. If you are not sure whether vomiting can help your pet, you should call the animal control center or your vet and ask.

Knowing how to induce vomiting is essential. You should also go to the vet to have your pet checked, but inducing vomiting before getting there will prevent the toxic items from being absorbed by the dog's system where they can cause damage. Vomiting can eliminate about half of the dog's stomach contents and the rest of the toxins should be removed by the vet. However, by eliminating half of the substance you can save your dog's life; some toxic items can cause seizures, coma and death. The higher the amounts of toxins ingested, the higher the chances of complications.