Can Ibuprofen Be Given to Dogs?

There is danger with using Ibuprofen; dogs die quickly when given an overdose of this popular OTC painkiller. Never use Advil or Motrin as a dog medicine without veterinary consent.

Only Use if Prescribed by Veterinarian

In the rare occasion that a veterinarian administers Ibuprofen, dogs receive two to four milligrams per pound. A typical tablet contains 200 milligrams, so only a fraction of that pill is safe for most dogs.

When your pet is in pain, it's common to want to administer a painkiller like Ibuprofen or aspirin. Dogs should not take human medications. Ask your vet about safe dog medicines. Despite the low cost, dogs rarely survive Ibuprofen overdose.

Symptoms of an Ibuprofen Overdose in Dogs

Unsafe dog drugs like Ibuprofen commonly cause renal failure. Symptoms include:

  • Blood in the stool
  • Dehydration
  • Lack of appetite
  • Stomach pain
  • Vomiting
  • Weakness

If symptoms appear, it is often too late to save the dog's life. Treatment for Ibuprofen poisoning in dogs must begin within two hours. Activated charcoal, stomach pumping and plenty of IV fluids are necessary.