Bee Sting Allergy in Dogs

While it's a relatively uncommon condition, some dogs experience a bee sting allergy that can be dangerous or even potentially life threatening. Just as some humans react in different ways to bee stings, the same can be said of dogs. Fortunately, most dogs react in a mild way and experience only slight pain at the onset of a bee sting; as the owner, you can usually help to address the situation and deal with the problem entirely on your own. However, you should also recognize the symptoms of a severe bee sting allergy in dogs and know how to address this type of situation as well, as a bee sting can be very damaging to some dogs and may even be fatal if left untreated.

Symptoms of Bee Sting Allergies

Symptoms of a mild bee sting allergy include the following:

  • signs of pain
  • slight swelling around the site of the sting
  • redness and sensitivity to the touch at the area of the sting
  • vomiting or diarrhea
  • difficulty breathing or swallowing, in extreme cases

Additionally, your pet may show discoloration of the tongue or other parts of the mouth, and may begin to bark loudly. In the most severe cases, your dog can experience foaming at the mouth and even loss of consciousness. These last symptoms are some of the most serious potential symptoms that can occur as a result of a bee sting allergy in your pet, and they require immediate medical attention.

Addressing a Bee Sting Allergy

For a mild bee sting, the treatment is much the same as you would make for another person. Simply apply a cool compote of baking soda and water to the site of the sting. This helps to relieve the swelling and also to eliminate some of the pain associated with the sting. You'll also need to use your fingers or a set of tweezers to remove the stinger form your pet's skin, if possible. This helps to avoid later infection and other problems that can arise.

For a more severe allergy, however, you'll need to react quickly in order to ensure that your pet is able to be restored to normal levels of health. You'll need to take your dog in to an emergency veterinary center immediately. Call a vet if you're outside of the range of one of these centers for immediate help. If you know that your dog has an allergy to bee stings, you may wish to carry an Epi-Pen with you. This small needle can inject minute amounts of epinephrine, a drug that helps to counteract the allergic reaction of the sting.


If you are aware of a severe bee sting allergy in your dog, avoid taking him outdoors in areas with lots of plants and flowers. There are more likely to be bees in these areas than in others, and you'll decrease the overall chances that your pet will be stung if you avoid these areas as much as possible.