Can Cats Eat Chocolate?

The short response to the question can cats eat chocolate is no. This food is a delicious snack for humans, but may be potentially fatal for felines, due to the fact that chocolate contains theobromine and other toxic substances. Consequently, to be safe, you should avoid giving your pet chocolate and make sure he doesn’t have access to the areas where you may keep chocolate.

Chocolate Toxicity and Allergic Reactions

Chocolate shouldn’t be fed to felines.

Chocolate may cause at least an allergic reaction in felines, which will manifest through vomiting, diarrhea and possibly skin rashes.

This is due to the fact that chocolate contains theobromine. This is a substance that is included in most chocolates, except for the white chocolates. This is a toxin that cannot be assimilated by the pet’s liver and it may be fatal if administered in high doses.

In addition, there are many chocolates that contain caffeine also, which is another toxic substance for felines.

Caffeine will have a negative effect on the cardiovascular and nervous system, accelerating these and leading to a faster heart rate and high blood pressure. This may also cause complications in the cat.

The Fatal Dose of Chocolate

The fatal dose of chocolate may depend on several factors such as:

  • The size of the cat
  • The type of chocolate and its contents of theobromine and caffeine
  • The cat’s health condition and how healthy his liver is
  • The cat’s immune system and how he copes with the toxic substances

Consequently, the fatal dose of chocolate may depend. However, it’s best to know that any amounts over 50 mg of theobromine may be deadly. This means that 1 oz of chocolate can be fatal. On average 1 oz of milk chocolate contains 45 to 60 oz.

To be safe, you should avoid any amounts of chocolate.

Detect Chocolate Poisoning

If your cat has ingested chocolate in high amounts, you will see some symptoms such as:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Agitation
  • Increased pulse and heart beat
  • Drinking a lot of water
  • Seizures
  • Collapse
  • Coma

These symptoms won’t occur immediately after the cat eats the chocolate, but as soon as theobromine enters the cat’s blood stream.

If you know your cat has eaten chocolate, it’s best if you go to a clinic as soon as possible, before the toxic substances enter the pet’s blood flow.

Eliminating the Toxins from the Cat’s System

To save your cat from poisoning, you need to eliminate the toxins from his system as soon as he has ingested chocolate.

If you can induce vomiting, this can be an effective means of getting rid of the toxins. Induce vomiting by giving the cat a tbs of peroxide diluted in water.

If vomiting is not possible, a vet can eliminate the toxins through administering activated charcoal or emptying the contents of the cat’s stomach.