Copperhead Bite Dog Treatment

The dog treatment after a snake bite should be instantaneous, especially if the snake is poisonous. The copperhead snake is one of the most poisonous snakes in the US and may be found in several regions. The bite may be treated if the venom hasn’t entered the blood flow or it’s not spread in the entire body.

Copperhead Snake Bite

A copperhead is a poisonous snake that will leave teeth marks behind when biting your pet. Non-poisonous snakes will leave only teeth marks and no fang marks, as they don’t have any fangs. The bite is most often seen in the limb or head area.

In addition, after a copperhead snake bite, you will notice that the dog will get swollen and red. The dog may also bleed and have sudden behavior changes.

You may also notice a number of symptoms that will indicate that the poison has already entered the blood flow:

  • Vomiting
  • Excessive drooling and foaming at the mouth
  • Diarrhea
  • Incontinence
  • Sudden collapse
  • Seizure
  • Paralysis

It may take between 1 and 3 hours for the copperhead poison to get into the blood flow of the pet and spread in the entire body, so you need to hurry to the vet to get treatment.

Copperhead Bite Dog Treatment

If you notice the snake bite and you can see the fang marks, it’s clear that the dog has been bitten by a poisonous snake (which may be a copperhead or a rattlesnake).

A poisonous bite should be treated differently than a non poisonous bite.

If your vet is close by and you can get there in less than 30 minutes, the best course of action is to get to the vet. He will administer an antidote and this will make sure that your pet will be fine.

If you need more than 30 minutes to get to the vet, you will need to start the treatment at home, before you drive to the vet. You will have to keep your calm and try to calm your pet as well, as he will be restless. If the dog is calmer, this will slow his pulse down and this will mean that the venom will need more time to spread in his body.

If the bite is on the dog’s limbs, it’s best if you tie a bandage that will stop the blood circulation in the area until you get to the vet. Don’t wash the area and don’t try to suck out the venom.

If the bite is in the head area, make sure to keep the head above the heart level at all times. Once you get to the vet, your dog will get a shot. If the venom is already spread, the dog may need hospitalization and liquid therapy. In some cases, the bite may be deadly and the vet won’t be able to save the pet. For this reason it’s important to get to the vet as soon as you notice the bite.