Dog Snake Bite Symptoms

A dog snake bite may be dangerous, if the snake is poisonous. However, even if the snake is not poisonous, the bite should be identified and treated. The dog snake bites symptoms will only be present if the snake is poisonous or if the dog is allergic to the snake bite.

Teeth and Fang Marks

The teeth and fang marks should be visible after a snake bite and can be identified on the neck, head or limbs. The snake can leave 1, 2 or several puncture wounds, which may bleed.

The main types of poisonous snakes that can bite canines include the rattle snake, the moccasin, the copperhead or the coral snake.

If the snake is not poisonous, you will not see any fang marks, but may identify a few teeth marks.

Severe Irritation

A poisonous snake will cause severe irritation:

  • Redness
  • Swelling
  • Bruises

These will be present at the site of the bite. The bitten area will be very sensitive and painful and the dog will indicate this by pawing the area or if the bite is on the limbs, the dog will lick the bite. Tissue necrosis may also be observed.

If the dog is bitten by a snake that is not poisonous, the irritation may be minimal. However, if your dog is allergic to certain substances in the snake’s saliva, the dog may get swollen and irritated also.

Nervous System

The snake bite will result in the transfer of the snake venom into the dog’s system and this will cause the dog to become agitated and very active. This should be prevented, as the more agitated the dog is, the faster the venom will spread in the blood stream affecting various systems.

In a few hours, the venom may reach the nervous system and the dog may present a suite of symptoms that include:

  • Excessive drooling
  • Incontinence
  • Fainting
  • Confusion
  • Muscle tremor
  • Seizures
  • Paralysis or certain areas
  • Coma

Vomiting and Diarrhea

If the amount of snake poison in the body is high, it may affect the digestive system and may lead to vomiting and diarrhea.

Cardiopulmonary Symptoms

The snake venom may affect the cardiopulmonary system and the dog will display symptoms such as:

  • Hypotension (low blood pressure)
  • Low rate respiration
  • Lethargy

First Aid for Snake Bites

If you identify a snake bite, you will have to keep your dog calm and prevent him from moving. This will prevent the venom from getting spread in the body. Don’t wash or massage the area and don’t apply ice or compresses, which could spread the toxic materials faster in the dog’s system.

Take your pet to a vet clinic, where antivenin will be injected. Intravenous fluids will also be recommended along with antibiotics. If you act quickly after a snake bite, the dog can be saved.

Ideally, you should identify the snake and try to keep your pet away from snakes in the future.