Milbemycin Oxime for Dogs

by
,

Milbemycin oxime is one of the most powerful and commonly prescribed drugs in veterinary medicine, although it's not often heard by that name. This medicine is more commonly known as Interceptor. Interceptor is a medicine that is recommended by veterinarians throughout the United States for protection against heartworm and other types of parasitic infestations. It is commonly used for both dogs and cats, and is developed for and approved for use in both. Read on for more information about how and when to use milbemycin oxime for your pet.

Milbemycin Oxime Overview

Milbemycin oxime functions to kill heartworms, whipworms, hookworms, and a variety of other internal parasites that can live in your dog's system. What makes this medicine stand out from among other heartworm medications, however, is that it also possesses the capacity to kill heartworm offspring, even when they are microscopically small. Because even an adolescent, miniscule heartworm can cause major complications to your pet's health, which may even result in death, it's crucial that you protect your dog against these parasites as best as you can.

This medicine is available through a veterinarian's prescription only. It has been approved for virtually every breed of dog. The medicine is occasionally used for it's secondary benefit of helping to treat demodectic mange, which is caused by mites living on the surface of your pet's skin.

Using Milbemycin Oxime for Your Pet

There are two primary ways that you may use milbemycin oxime for your pet. In either case, the medicine comes in tablet form. The tablets are conveniently broken up according to different dosages, but you'll nonetheless have to get information on the appropriate amount of medicine to give your pet from your veterinarian.

If you're using this medicine to help address heartworms or other internal parasites, it's recommended that you give a slightly larger dose once per month. On the other hand, if you're hoping to treat demodectic mange caused by on the skin mites, you'll need to give the medicine to your pet approximately once per day instead.

Risks and Side Effects of Milbemycin Oxime

Before you give your pet this medicine, it's important to have him tested for heartworm infection. If your pet already has a heartworm infection, your vet may recommend different options in order to help treat his existing condition. Additionally, if your pet is a puppy under two months of age, it's best to consult with your vet about alternative options for preventing heartworm infestations.

The most common side effects of this medicine typically include the following:

  • Shock
  • Seizures
  • Stomach upset

Generally, shock and seizures will only occur for this medicine when your pet is taking the medicine as a way of eliminating demodectic mange. In any case, it's important to observe your dog closely while he's taking milbemycin oxime or any other medicine in order to be sure that your dog is not suffering from any sort of allergic reaction or other difficulty.


,

...

 

Comments