My Dog Ate Chocolate: How Much is Toxic?

While a chocolate dog may be great treat for you, chocolate is dangerous to dogs. Chocolate contains the xanthene compound theobromine, which harms the cardiovascular, nervous and renal systems of a dog. Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity

Symptoms of chocolate toxicity include:

  • hyper-excitability and hyper-irritability;
  • increased heart rate, restlessness and urination;
  • muscle tension and tremors.

Complications include hypothermia, seizures, cardiac arrest, even death. Death can result from intoxication. Treatment for Chocolate Consumption

No antidote exists for chocolate poisoning in a dog, however you can try:

  • Inducing vomiting within two hours of chocolate ingestion blocks its digestion.
  • Activated charcoal given orally prevents absorption of chocolate during digestion.
  • Seizure control medications, oxygen therapy, intravenous fluids and other measures mitigate the most serious effects of chocolate toxicity in a dog.

Chocolate Toxic Levels

A nibble of chocolate is not necessarily life-threatening, but larger amounts can be. Theobromine is toxic to a dog if ingested in quantities of 100 to 150mg/kg. Theobromine content in milk chocolate is 6 mg/oz; in semi-sweet chocolate, 22 mg/oz; and,in baking chocolate, 35 to 45 mg/oz. Milk chocolate poses a relatively minor risk, but causes diarrhea in a dog, which must be treated all the same. To be on the safe side, an owner should never feed chocolate of any kind, in any amount, to a dog.