2 Dog Poison Treatment Options

Dogs are born curious and use their mouths and noses to explore and investigate almost everything that they come in contact with; therefore, since your canine is probably a curious dog, poison can be a potential killer. Of course, the best way to save your dog from the dangers associated with poison is to make sure that all types of substances that could harm your pet are put away and securely closed and out of reach. However, in the event that your dog does become poisoned, you should get your dog to the veterinarian as soon as possible. Before you do so, however, here are some things you should do immediately.

Induce Vomiting

If your dog has not already vomited, you need to get him to vomit as soon as possible. You can induce vomiting by orally giving your dog 1 tablespoon of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide for every 20 pounds of body weight every 10 minutes.

Delay or Prevent Poison Absorption

Give the dog a mixture of one tablet of active charcoal with 10cc of water for every two pounds of body weight and then have the dog ingest at least a pint of water. Depending on the condition of the dog, you may require a stomach tube to accomplish this; therefore, a veterinarian may be required. Thirty minutes after you have given the sick dog the active charcoal and water mixture, administer one teaspoon of sodium sulfate (also known as Glaubers Salt) for every ten pounds of body weight. If the sodium sulfate is not available, you may substitute one teaspoonful of Milk of Magnesia for every five pounds of body weight.

If you don't have any of the agents that are listed in the above paragraph, then you can substitute milk, egg whites or vegetable oil to coat the stomach of the dog. Furthermore, you should also give the dog a warm water enema. Keep in mind that these procedures will not cure your dog; they simply slow the absorption of the poison into the bloodstream of the dog.

Tips for Corrosive Poisons

If your dog was poisoned by a corrosive type poison such as are found in many common household cleaning products, drain opening liquids and commercial solvents, the poison will usually burn the mouth, esophagus and stomach; therefore, you should never induce vomiting with these types of poisons. If you do, you run the risk of causing a rupture in the stomach or more serious burns in the dog's esophagus.

To help treat dogs that have been poisoned with corrosive poisons, you will need to determine if the poison is an acid or an alkali. If the poison was acidic in nature, give the dog 1 to 2 teaspoons of Milk of Magnesia or Pepto Bismol for every 5 pounds of body weight. If the poison was an alkali type of poison, then give the dog a mixture of vinegar or lemon juice and water. Use four parts water for every part of vinegar or lemon juice used. Give the dog at least 3 or 4 teaspoons, of the mixture, for every five pounds of the dog's body weight. After administering the antacid or other type of mixture rush the dog to the vet as soon as possible.

If you are unsure of how to treat your dog, rush the dog to the veterinarian without delay. If you are far away from the nearest vet, call the Pet Poison Control Hotline at 1-888-426-4435. They can instruct you on how to perform basic first aid for your dog that might save his life.