Rat Poison Dog Symptoms

If you have rat poison in your home, or if you live in a neighborhood where other families may have or use rat poison, it's crucial that you learn the dog symptoms that are representative of when a pet has ingested this dangerous chemical. Most rat poisons contain harmful chemicals that will not only kill rats, but can also be very fatal to dogs as well.

If your pet ingests rat poison, you'll have to act quickly in order to take him to a veterinary center so that you can have his stomach pumped and clear the toxins out of his system. Without your prompt action, he may die. In order to be able to recognize the symptoms of rat poisoning in dogs, you'll need to continue reading this article for a brief overview of the most commonly seen symptoms.

Appearance of Blood

One of the major characteristics of most rat poisons, and why these chemicals are so effective at eliminating rats, is that they produce a certain chemical that makes it impossible for the rat's body to effectively clot blood. The result is that the blood becomes thinner, and the animal begins to hemorrhage. Unfortunately, the same thing can happen to a dog that ingests rat poison as well. Therefore, you're likely to see blood in certain places that you otherwise would not. Dogs that have ingested rat poison will oftentimes have blood in their urine or in their stool. They may also have blood dripping from their noses or other orifices as well. Be on the lookout for spots of blood around where your dog lays down or sits.

Weakness and Lethargy

Rat poison causes a certain amount of weakness in the dog as well. This may result in a sense of lethargy. if your dog refuses to get up to play, walk or run, this is a cause for concern. Similarly, if he struggles to walk or to get up the stairs, you should be alarmed. If your dog refuses to come and eat because he is too lethargic, this is a serious cause for concern as well.


Dogs that have eaten rat poison oftentimes develop unusually pallid tongues, gums and noses. Be on the lookout for pale, dry parts of your pet's mouth.


Dogs that have eaten rat poison will oftentimes give the appearance of choking. They may have difficulty breathing or, more often, they'll begin to cough. They may try to cough as if attempting to vomit, but there will not likely be anything that comes up. Occasionally, your dog may begin to cough up blood after eating poison. This is cause for serious concern, as it points to internal bleeding.

Distended Abdomen

Dogs that have eaten rat poison oftentimes bleed internally, which can lead to discolored and distended abdomens. Keep on the lookout for this sign in your dog as well.

If you recognize any of these symptoms, get your dog to an emergency veterinary center as soon as possible.