What Not to Feed Dogs

If you would like to know what not to feed dogs, you need to know what is toxic and may possibly create intolerances in dogs. Not all human food is good for dogs. A dog that is fed only table leftovers may get obese, have a poor health and possibly eat food that is toxic.

If you suspect that your dog has eaten something toxic, make him vomit and go to the vet immediately.


Grapes shouldn't be fed to dogs. Grapes may poison the dog and lead to kidney failure. A dog may get poisoned by ingesting only 4 to 5 grapes. Raisins are as toxic as grapes.


Onions may cause the Heinz anemia in dogs. This type of anemia leads to a low red blood cell count and kidney failure. Garlic or chives are also toxic for dogs.

Onions and garlic are the most poisonous when raw, but you should avoid feeding your dog even cooked or fried onion or garlic.

The symptoms of Heinz anemia include pale gums, heart murmur, tiredness, vomiting, diarrhea and blood in the urine.

The pet will need blood transfusions and fluid therapy.


Chocolate is toxic for dogs, as it contains theobromide. Cocoa is also toxic for dogs.

The dose of chocolate that causes poisoning in dogs depends on the type of chocolate. Baking chocolate is the most toxic and 2 ounces may be fatal for your dog.


Coffee contains the same toxic chemical as chocolate and cocoa. Make sure your dog also stays away from drinks that contain caffeine such as sodas or black tea.


Dogs may get poisoning from just a few drops of alcohol. Ethanol is contained in all alcoholic beverages and is the ingredient that is toxic for dogs.

Yeast dough may also contain ethanol, so keep your dog away from yeast as well. Also, rotten fruit may also produce ethanol.


Nuts, especially macadamia nuts are toxic for pets. Just a few nuts may poison your dog; however just a few nuts are not fatal to dogs.

Fruit Seeds and Pits

Some fruit seeds and pits may contain cyanide:

  • Apple
  • Peach
  • Apricots
  • Plum
  • Cherry

So make sure to remove the seeds and pits when you feed these fruits to your dog.


Xylitol is a sweetener that may be present in candy, soda or chewing gum. Xylitol may lead to liver damage. Only 2 pieces of gum may cause hypoglycemia, while 12 pieces cause liver damage.

Symptoms of Poisoning

If a dog ingests a poisonous substance he will display the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Weakness
  • Collapse
  • Seizures

The symptoms may occur 1 to 24 hours after the ingestion of the toxic ingredient. Try to induce vomiting if you suspect that your dog has ingested a toxic food. This may prevent the absorption of the toxic ingredient. Go to the vet immediately for a gastric lavage, administration of activated charcoal and further treatment.