My cat is a 5 months old male with severe stomatitis

My cat is a 5 months old male with severe stomatitis and persistent high fever?He's been sick for 6 days now,it's not getting any better. HTC 24% albumin 22,2 g/L alt 147,24 u/L the rest of the blood panel is unremarkable I just want to know is there any hope,because I read so much about FIP and I want to know if it is possible that he has something else.

• Vetinfo

By: Kara McCarty El Segundo, CA

Replied on 04/19/2011

FIP kittens tend to have high plasma proteins which you don't mention, and stomatitis isn't a common symptom. It is usually a slow onset disease process with poor growth and a pot bellied appearance. How long has the fever been present? Has your cat been tested for feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency virus? If not these are the first things I would consider in an anemic, febrile kitten with stomatitis. Calicivirus is a respiratory virus that typically causes eye or nasal discharge, oral lesions, a high fever and bleeding which can lead to anemia. It can also cause ulceration in the intestines which would increase his ALT and decrease his albumin. His low albumin could also be caused by the stomatitis alone as it is not that low. Calicivirus has many strains, some are more virulent (aggressive) than others and it can cause arthritis and pneumonia. In those cases the virus tends to hang around longer and supportive care with fluids, antibiotics and possibly nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories for pain management may be needed. Calicivirus can be tested for with paired serum samples or cell cultures.

More Questions on Dental Care

• Cat teeth; having to be removed

My 3 year old cat had very bad breath. We took her to the vet for a cleaning and the vet said he had to remove 3 of her teeth. The vet also said that there are other teeth that may need to come out. He gave us antibiotics to administer twice per day which we have been doing. He wants to see her again in 2 weeks to determine if additional teeth need to be removed. What could be causing this problem in such a young cat? What can we do to fight it?

• Pain relief medication for cat with Gingivostomatitis?

Hello,I have a one year old cat who was recently diagnosed with pretty bad gingivostomatitis. Our vet says that I can either get all his teeth removed, or have him on a mixture of prednisone and some cancer drug (can't remember the name) for his whole life. I can afford neither the surgery or the cancer drug. The pred. keeps the swelling down, but what can I use for pain? If i can keep him comfortable, that's all I ask. I was recommended Rimadyl, but apparently that's toxic? Thanks so much!

• Home remedy for cat mouth problems

A friendly skinny stray cat showed up. He would eat the wet food but not the dry. He is also drooling and appears to be uncomfortable with regard to his mouth. I just lost my job and can't afford a vet bill -What can I give him to ease his discomfort - OralGel, Peroxide with water, Baking Soda paste... ??

• Gingivitis in cats, is it hereditary?

My cat is only one year and have gingivitis. She's treated with the toothbrush and clorhexidine gluconate. Since she's supposed to become a breeding queen I'm worried about the risk for her kittens. Do you know if there is such a risk?

• Cat teeth: lost her front right canine and won't eat and is lethargic

cat came home - right canine was missing mouth obviously sore - will not eat- 2 days - is losing weight and is lethargic doesn't like to be picked up and is just laying down all day has had very little to drink also. tried warming up food/fish and chicken - not interested and also special cat milk - only drinking small amount of water

• Back cat teeth missing?

My cat will be 2 in September. She is in good health except I have to treat her for fleas often. I noticed that behind her canines, she has no back teeth. I could only tell on the bottom so im not sure about the top (she wont let me look). This seems strange to me. Whats going on?

• See all questions in Dental Care

Please do not use our site to attempt to diagnose or treat your pet. Your veterinarian is the best source of health advice for an individual pet.

Please do use our site to become better informed about the medical problems your pet may have. We will do our best to ensure that information presented is accurate and up-to-date. The most current information will be at the top of each page. Remember that veterinarians often disagree about the best treatments for pets. There are often several perfectly acceptable ways to treat the same condition. Just ask a lot of questions!

For all emergency situations, please contact your local Emergency Pet Clinic or on-call Veterinarian. Answers are not provided in real time. We can not guarantee an answer to every question, nor can we provide timely responses to urgent questions in many instances.